Gutman Library and the East Falls campus are rich with Philadelphia history. Read about the previous libraries below, and if that's not enough history for you, check out the Archives for more.
Senator Pastore Library
Designed by George M. Ewing and built in 1967. See description below. After the Paul J. Gutman library was opened in 1992, this structure with extensive internal renovation, was renamed the Architecture and Design Center (A&D).
Designed by George M. Ewing and funded by the Edgar and Emily Hesslein Fund, Inc. of New York ($52,000 for the building, $15,000 for shelving and furniture). The new library, which opened in 1949, was approximately 4200 square feet and held around 8,000 volumes. It was staffed by one librarian and an assistant librarian. In 1957, the Hesslein Fund donated another $50,000 to double the space of the existing library. The book collection by that time had grown to 15,000 volumes. After the Pastore library opened this space was first utilized as the student center and eventually became the school's book store and mail room. The library was demolished in 2005.