Since 2006, Jeffersonians have been maximizing research productivity with RefWorks, an easy-to-use tool for publishing and managing citations, bibliographies, and references. RefWorks launched a new version in 2016 (the blue interface) and will sunset the legacy version (the orange interface) in June 2023.
Improvements in RefWorks from Legacy include:
- drag-and-drop PDFs,
- multiple projects within one account,
- project sharing with collaborators,
- and a modern, accessible user interface.
For those currently using Legacy RefWorks, we recommend:
- backing up your Legacy RefWorks account(s) using both the backup/restore tool, which preserves RefID numbers and folders for restoration only within Legacy RefWorks, and the export feature, which provides a viewable, interoperable copy of your references,
- using the upgrade button on Legacy RefWorks accounts to get started with RefWorks now,
- or waiting till the institutional upgrade on January 4, 2023.
Key dates for Jefferson:
- 12/01/2022 – 06/30/2023: Upgrade to RefWorks button available in Legacy RefWorks accounts
- 12/30/2022: New account creation for Legacy RefWorks disabled
- 01/04/2023: Institutional upgrade for Legacy accounts with references, accessed within the past year, or without a RefWorks account under the same email address*
- 06/30/2023: Legacy RefWorks access disabled
*If you have Legacy accounts that haven’t been accessed in the past year or if you have a RefWorks account under the same email address as the Legacy accounts, you’ll need to log in before 6/30/2023 to download references and/or upgrade to RefWorks.